DIGNITY's Talent Programme for Students
Are you looking for a unique opportunity to contribute to the global fight against torture and organized violence as part of your study programme? Are you driven by a desire to learn and to put knowledge to work? Do you have a documented interest in DIGNITY’s field of work and a strong academic record? If so, Dignity’s Talent Programme might be for you.
About the Programme
DIGNITY’s talent programme is a programme specially designed for ambitious senior-level students seeking an internship opportunity as part of their academic programme or planning to write a Master’s thesis in the field of torture and organised violence, or more specifically within one of DIGNITY’s three strategic priority themes, namely
- Rehabilitation of torture survivors
- Prevention of torture in places of detention
- Prevention of violence in poor urban neighbourhoods.
The programme offers an inspiring, intense milieu at the intersection between theory and practice. Together with other students and under the qualified supervision and mentorship of experienced staff, as a DIGNITY talent you will have the opportunity to develop and contribute to knowledge production and the making of a better world.
Opportunities are available within the field of:
- Prevention of torture
- Rehabilitation of torture survivors
- Medical aspects of torture
- Public policy
- Human rights law
- Communication and/or Fundraising.
Previous DIGNITY talents have come from the disciplines of public health, law, medicine, psychology, anthropology, global development, development studies, political science, human security, refuges studies and many more.
DIGNITY - Danish Institute against Torture is a self-governing institution independent of party politics, and it is the biggest center of its kind in the world. DIGNITY is organized in three broad themes: Rehabilitation, Detention and Urban Violence. In all three areas we undertake interventions and we do research. DIGNITY works in Denmark as well as the Global South. Additional information regarding DIGNITY's activities can be obtained at here at our website.
Duration of programme
The programme runs twice a year with a spring season starting February and a Fall season starting September.
- Internships last 3-6 months during which you work on a specific DIGNITY project.
- Master’s thesis workplaces are available for 6 months. You work on your thesis with supervision from a relevant and qualified DIGNITY staff member in addition to your supervisor at the University.
A place on the Talent Programme offers you the chance to:
- Contribute to DIGNITY’s vital and inspiring work against torture and organised violence by
- writing a Master’s thesis with focus on issues related to the causes, consequences or contexts of torture and organised violence or
- interning with DIGNITY or one of our global partners and learning about the dynamic field of human rights, torture rehabilitation and torture prevention in practice
- Collaborate with senior researchers on ongoing research projects and receive qualified supervision
- Have a workstation and be serviced as a staff member including monthly briefings with a designated mentor
Who can apply
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be enrolled in an academic programme with an internship option or plan to write a Master’s thesis within one of DIGNITY’s abovementioned three strategic priority themes
- Have a strong academic record
- Have excellent English skills
- For internships at DIGNITYs Rehabilitation Clinic in Copenhagen, fluency in Danish is required.
When and how to apply
Applications are invited through an open call twice a year with the following deadlines
- Fall season application deadline 1. May
- Spring season application deadline 1. October
We will open for submission of applications one month prior to the application deadlines.
To submit an application, you will be required to prepare following documents:
- Letter of motivation of 400-600 words, detailing your reasons for applying, your specific interests and whether you apply for an internship or a thesis-writing workplace
- Curriculum Vitae
- Grade report from your educational institution
- An example of your written work (preferably Bachelor assignment or equivalent)
All documents must be in PDF format. You may expect to hear about the outcome of your application one month after the application deadline.