Legal Advisor to boost DIGNITY’s global efforts to prevent torture in places of detention (re-posting)
With commencement 1 September 2018, or as soon as possible, DIGNITY – Danish Institute Against Torture seeks a Legal Advisor with a solid background in the fields of international human rights law and detention monitoring.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DIGNITY’s strategies, programmes and projects on prevention of torture internationally.
- Advice and build capacity of organisations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Europe on monitoring of places of detention with a view to preventing torture and ill-treatment, and develop manuals and tools on detention monitoring.
- Conduct legal research and provide legal advice on national legislation and international legal standards relevant to the prevention and combating of torture.
- Provide overall advice and support to DIGNITY’s programmes on access to justice and international advocacy.
The ideal candidate has:
- A background within law with specialisation in international human rights law and a minimum of 10 years of experience in the field of international human rights and preferably torture prevention, particularly from the developing countries or transitional societies.
- Expertise and experience with detention monitoring from national monitoring bodies, such as National Preventive Mechanisms, or international monitoring mechanisms, such as the ICRC, SPT or CPT.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills as well as strong skills in cross-professional/cross-cultural co-operation. Applicants must be willing to travel approximately 40-60 days annually.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a prerequisite. Competency in written and spoken French and/or Arabic will be considered a key asset.
Pay and placement
The position is remunerated according to labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and The Danish Federation of Professional Associations. The successful candidate will be based at DIGNITY in Copenhagen, Denmark.
For further information, please contact the Director of the Legal Dept., Ms. Therese Maria Rytter, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +45 6010 8810.
Applications with CV and copies of relevant graduation papers should be sent to: email@example.com. Please mark application with 'Legal Advisor' and submit before 15 June 2018. Interviews will take place in weeks 25 and 26.