Legal Officer for DIGNITY’s Country Office in Tunis
DIGNITY is an independent non-governmental anti-torture institution founded in 1982 in Denmark. DIGNITY cooperates with non-state and state partners in Asia, Africa, the MENA Region and Central America based on its more than thirty years of experience with rehabilitation of torture victims and prevention of torture programs.
In January 2012, DIGNITY opened its office in Tunisia, in support of its Tunisia program comprising access to justice, prevention of torture and rehabilitation for torture victims. DIGNITY’s Tunisia office increasingly supports DIGNITYs work in Morocco, which aims at strengthening the capacity of magistrates in investigating and prosecuting torture. Furthermore, in collaboration with Moroccan civil society, DIGNITY is committed to strengthening the actors of civil society in the identification and documentation of torture, namely front-line practitioners, human rights defenders, legal and health professionals.
As a Legal Officer your primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Contributing to the development and implementation of DIGNITY policies, strategies, methodologies, plans of action and projects on the right to reparation and prevention of torture;
- Conducting legal research and provide legal advice on international human rights law, practices related to the prohibition, reparation and prevention of torture and organized violence, and related issues;
- Assisting in drafting political/legal brief and updates on developments in Tunisia and Morocco (ie new legislation, political developments, specific developments within human rights and torture related sector)
- Performing as an advocate for human rights at the national level in cooperation with DIGNITY's national and international partners;
- Preparing and facilitating thematic trainings for partners and state actors and civil society;
- Proposing academic training curricula on torture and human rights;
- Provide expert advice into a documentation of torture project;
- Helping partners develop their internal rules and register with the Ministry of the Interior when necessary;
- Revising guides to prevention of torture before publication;
- Coordinating with colleagues at headquarters to prepare activities;
- Finalizing reports of monthly and thematic activities;
- Other tasks to be assigned by the Head of Mission.
The ideal candidate for this position has:
- A Master's degree in international law, complementary training in human rights is particularly desirable;
- Knowledge of Tunisian and / or Moroccan criminal laws and procedures is an advantage;
- Experience in research and analysis as part of research assignments on specific legal issues;
- Experience in communicating with a wide range of actors, including lawmakers and policymakers, criminal justice administrators and civil society is desirable;
- Knowledge of international human rights law, including regional and international norms relating to the fight against torture is desirable;
- Experience in working for legal reform and reform of the criminal justice sector is desirable;
- Experience in coordinating projects is desirable, especially with civil society;
- Fluency in Arabic and French in writing and oral;
- Knowledge of English is an advantage.
The position is based in DIGNITY, Tunis with frequent travel in the region, in this case, Morocco.
DIGNITY guarantees a competitive salary, depending on seniority and experience, comparable to what is offered for similar positions in international NGOs in Tunisia.
Please indicate in the subject of your email "Legal Officer Tunisia".
Deadline for application is no later than 31st of May, 2018.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org